We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience. By using this site, you are giving your consent for us to set cookies.


Plenary / Thought Leadership & Market Trends

Track 6 - Other (question)

Note:  If speakers confirm please change text to green so I know to add to the reg site.  Thank you!

Tuesday 25 April 2023





TYPE TopicOwners
1:00 - 1:30COVESA for NewcomersSteve CrumbPlenary / in-person speakers
1:30 - 2:00COVESA Member KeynoteCOVESA President ( Matt)Plenary / KeynoteTBDSteve
2:00 - 300Understanding and Engaging in COVESA Expert Groups & Projects

Paul plus others

Round Robin

Explanation and call to participate in the various aspects of the Data EG, EV Charging EG, and other BoFs/Projects; also mention TST 

Advertisements of new stuff during the week; Q&A

Paul, Steve


Session Time

Track 1 (Data Expert Group)


3:15 - 3:45

Introduction to Vehicle Signal Specification (VSS)

Introduction to VSS for those who are not familiar with it.  What it is?  What business problems does it solve?   What it is not?  How it fits within COVESA?  How to get involved?

Adnan Bekan 

TOPIC That does not conflict directly with VSS

  • Android App Store BoF?
  • Deeper dive tech?
  • Last year was Security

3:45 - 4:30

Data Centric Architectures 


Stephen Lawrence

Supported By:

Adnan Bekan 

Erik Jaegervall 


Vehicle Experience Presentation

OEM Perspectives on Emerging Industry Opportunities

Mike Nunnery - This is a possible session that we could do like we did at the AMM in October where Steve was moderator and Matt Jones and Charlie Cross did kind of a fireside chat.

We know that Matt/Ford and Steve will be in attendance and right now Trpko is working on travel to get out of the ITS American event he is speaking at during the same time as our AMM.  Trpko said that he is also going to see if Dan Cashen from Stellantis who it looks like is going to be leading the Vehicle Experience BoF can attend and if not Dan Cashen Trpko is going to talk to Vishnu (SVP at Stellantis) since VP's have easier time with travel approvals.  This was a very well attended session on main stage last AMM and great conversations and collaboration conversations too.

4:30 - 5:30

Android White Label App Stores

Milena Mascalo, BMW

Mbition Pitch on VSC?

Possibly a slot for Roger, if nothing else

Or Andrew Jackson (Fleet Data Expert)

5:45 - 7:45Welcome Reception (possibly offsite?)

Wednesday (Business Track) 26 April 2023

Day 2




TYPE TopicOwners
9:00 - 9:15Welcome & COVESA IntroductionSteve CrumbPlenary / in-person speakers
9:15 - 9:45

Future Challenges for an OEM

  • Changing Customer Expectations
  • Faster delivery and time to market
  • Increased Developer Efficiency
  • Software Platforms and Tools

Matt Jones, Shareef Hakim, Ford Motor Company

Plenary / Keynote


9:45 - 10:15Vehicles in a Digital Ecosystem

Gerald Spreitz (Placeholder)

Plenary / Panel

Ansys wants to speak
10:15 - 10:45Break

10:45 - 11:15Navigating the Road Ahead: Understanding the Software-Defined Vehicle Future

Maite Bezerra, Principal Analyst


  SDV, Wards Intelligence Informa Tech Automotive Group

The automotive industry is converging around the development of software-defined vehicles. However, there is still much uncertainty surrounding what exactly defines a software-defined vehicle and what the product-development path looks like for the industry as they invest billions of dollars in this transition. This session will delve into these critical points and provide insights into the current industry state and expectations for the future of software-defined vehicles.

11:15-11:45Business track 2 (Data)

Volvo Group AB (Magnus Liljeqvist Global Tech Strategist)

11:45-12:30Business track 3  (Data)

Panel to follow-up keynote following

Volvo Group AB (Magnus Liljeqvist Global Tech Strategist), AWS (talking with Lowry), Geotab (Christoph), Start-up? (Maybe RemotiveLabs), Ford-Pro (John Musser providing a contact)


Fleet-OPS; FMS; Open Projects

What role does VSS and open standards play in Fleet-OPS?

12:30 - 1:45Lunch
1:45 - 2:00

Thought Leadership 3 (Services)


Renesas declined

Confirming Aptiv (Florian Baumann)

Proposal from Roger:

There is a clear trend toward app stores – particularly non-Google app stores – and, more broadly, enabling embedded/native application deployment in cars that protect the car makers control and independence and protect the customer’s data while also removing the distraction and shortcomings of phone-based mirroring solutions.  This is reflected in recent announcements from Aiden Auto, Volkswagen/CARIAD, and Mercedes MB.OS.  There are significant implications for connectivity and the connectivity budget – to say nothing of business model implications.  I am prepared to address all of that with both secondary market data, forecasts, and consumer survey data regarding their preferences from our own survey work.

2:00 - 2:45

Business track 4 (panel) (Services)

Services as Software-Enabled Revenues 

Moderator: Maite Bezerra, Principal Analyst - SDV, Wards Intelligence Informa Tech Automotive Group




·       Is combining third-party apps with modular and open architectures the speediest and most effective solution for software-enabled revenues? How can OEMs bring big tech services to the car while maintaining control over revenues?  

·       In what ways will software-enabled vehicles increase user engagement with vehicle embedded systems and enable the development of value-added services?  

·       How do driver assistance safety features interplay with user experience and enable monetizable use cases?  


Informa reaching out to the European Advisory panel. Maite will moderate. ETA: Title/Abstract by 3/10; Panelists by 3/24

2:45 - 3:00Break
3:00 - 3:45 (45 mins needed)

Business track 5 Vehicle Experiences


Stellantis?? - Trpko or Dan Cashen (working on it, Rightware Andreas Binner/CTO (Confirmed), Pulselabs - Lincoln Merrihew?  Google - Steve Higgens?, Others? 

In-Cabin Choreography:  Designing the Ultimate Vehicle Experience

Consumers expect the absolute best, safest and problem free content and experiences available from their phones, smart home devices, computers and electronic devices, immediately as they become available.  Why would they expect less from a vehicle?  They won't. 

To enable this vehicle manufacturers must not think in terms of fixed predefined use cases bound to specific hardware.  They must think in terms of what capabilities, functions and flexible interfaces must be enabled to support great current experiences as well as those yet unknown future experiences.  They must also think in terms of rapid, safe, frictionless updates to the content and experiences.  

What is needed to design the ultimate in-vehicle experience?  What will these experiences be?  How will the industry deliver and continue to deliver these experiences?


Trpko Blazevski (Global Innovation Mgr) is working on getting out of speaking commitment he has at ITS America same time as our AMM.   He is also looking to see if he can get travel approval for Dan Cashen (Chief Engineer - Cockpit from Stellantis) to travel.  If not, Trpko is going to talk to Vishnu Sundaram (SVP Cockpit, Connectivity & Cloud) to travel since it is easier for SVP to get travel approved. 

3:45 - 4:30

Cologne to Porto - EV Charging Experience - A First Hand Perspective

20 minutes - Matus Banyay shares his experience from his trip from Cologne to Porto in a Ford Mach E

Matus Banyay 

25 minutes - Matus moderates a panel of industry experts to discuss the issues good and bad uncovered by the trip.

Potential Panelists:

Rolf Bienart - OpenADR, Technical Director (Steve to contact)

Achim Henkel, Bosch, Director of Automotive Technologies

Adam Woolway - Parkopedia, Head of EV 

Simon Vogt - Co-Founder &Charge

BMW? : 

Dr. Ali Koç - Head of Location Platfom



Possibly Matus (moderation) - on EV Charging experience and collaboration needed (Mobility Data Space, BMW?, OpenADR ED (Bienert), Achim or Dirk/Bosch, Charging Station provider/Oliver Adrian?) Parkopedia


Note:  Adam Woolway has been contacted and is going to discuss if this is an event that he can come and speak at since it requires travel.

4:30 - 5:00

(Adjust time)

The importance of defining a comprehensive legal framework for the Software-defined vehicle development

Pedro López Estepa, Director of Automotive, RTIKeynote

The automotive manufacturers seek to maintain control over the aspects that provide the greatest potential for differentiation, and the software is at the core. This change of paradigm would impact the function of the traditional supply chain. Derived from these challenges and implications from the Software-defined Vehicles comes another complication: developing a comprehensive legal framework. This framework must encapsulate two of the most important legal aspects of the design: liability and IP ownership. In these aspects, there are major differences between traditional hardware design and the implications that software co-development will bring to the table.

This session will cover the reasons behind the urgent need for vehicle manufacturers to determine a new legal framework defining who will own the IP and therefore be responsible for the liabilities, warranty and reliability in the Software-defined Vehicle.

5:00 - 5:15Business Track Wrap-up & Call to Action

5:30 - 8:30 COVESA Member Showcase & Reception - 4-5 vehicles?; 18-22 estimated showcases

Question about space for 5 cars

Wednesday 26 April 2023 (Technical Sessions)

Day 2

Session Time

Track 1 (Data Expert Group)

Track 2 

Track 3  (question)Type



09:00 - 10:00

Data Expert Group Update

General update highlighting DEG progress


Erik Jaegervall 


Adnan Bekan 

Stephen Lawrence 

IVP/IVE Moved this to Thursday since this competes with too many other key sessions
10:00 - 10:30

VSS Update - VSS in Action

What do we need to boost the development of connected vehicle services?

IVP/IVE Moved this to Thursday since this competes with too many other key sessions


VSSo - Grounding Ontologies and Modeling 

@Daniel Alverez

Ted Guild 

@Felix Loesch

IVP/IVE Moved this to Thursday since this competes with too many other key sessions

11:15 - 12:15

VSS Working Session

Relationship to Other Models

@Felix Loesch

Evolving VSS into an agnostic information model 

Ulf Bjorkengren 


Erik Jaegervall Adnan Bekan Ulf Bjorkengren 

12:30 - 13:30Lunch
13:30 - 14:15

Deep Dive into VSS Implementation 

Peter Winzell - Volvo

Remotive Labs



14:15 - 14:45

Using VSS to interact with AUTOSAR systems (VSS Vehicle API)

Erik Jaegervall

14:45 - 15:15Break
15:15 - 16:00

VSS in a VISSv2 Interface

Ulf Bjorkengren 

16:00 - 16:30

VSS Deployment Scenarios

Erik Jaegervall 

Adnan Bekan 

16:30 - 17:15

Wrap up Discussion and Next Steps 

17:30 - 20:30
COVESA Showcase & Reception

Thursday 27 April 2023

Day 3

Session Time

Track 1

Track 2

Track 3 



09:00 - 09:30

Arch and Infrastructure Working Session

Datacentric Architecture Design Pattern

Stephen Lawrence , Andre Wendel BMW

EV Power Optimization Project Status

Presentation on progress of EV Power Optimization Project with discussion on use cases related to Infotainment and other Modules

Other Topics:

AUTOSAR/COVESA / SDV including SOAFEE and Eclipse SDV 

FMS Workshop? (VCC, RemotiveLabs)

Simulation/DigTwin/ (Ansys, Drivesec, Bosch/Felix, Walter, etc.)

EU Data Regulations (EU-IoT, etc.)

09:30 - 10:00

Arch and Infrastructure Working Session 

Stephen Lawrence Adnan Bekan 

(Possibility to have a session here on Vehicle Experience ?????)

or could possibly be a project proposal workshop if Pulselabs (Lincoln) is attend called " Creating Standard Guidelines for Measuring Vehicle Cabin User Experience (UX)"

NOTE:  this there is 1/2 hour here that does not map to the panels on IVP below and discussions, perhaps I can get a talk here for 20+ minutes on Vehicle Experience????  let me know if I have this time slot and I can come up with something as we get to know who might be attending the AMM.  Might also be able to present a proposal on Vehicle Experience Project here as well if Lincoln from Pulselabs is attending.  


Arch and Infrastructure Working Session 

Stephen Lawrence Adnan Bekan 

EV Power Optimization Workshop

Workshop can be a panel based technical discussion on applicability of EV Power Optimization in different automotive systems 

(10 minutes) Introduction to the IVP SIG AMM Session

  • Speaker: John Moon 

(50 minute panel) Title - Vehicle Wallets (exact title being discussed)

Aiden (Confirmed)

  • Speaker from Aiden TBD might be Niclas Gyllernam, CEO, Jonas Fenn CCO, or Todd Thomas, CRO

Mavi (Confirmed)

  • Speaker is Vamsi Putrevu

Starfish: (Confirmed)

  • Speaker is Jens Kohnen (mgr director)

Stellantis: (Not Confirmed As Yet)

  • Speakers (TBD):
Trpko / Dan Cashen / Vishnu 

NOTE:  we need a 10 minute intro followed by a 45-50 minute panel. I did not want to adjust the time slots myself......

Title on Vehicle Wallets is being discussed with panelist to come up with a really good title along with a descriptive abstract that will be compelling.  The session is confirmed and and just confirming if Stellantis can also participate and who from Stellantis.

If Stellantis can not participate in this session then Starfish said they can bring someone from MBition to participate.


FMS/VSS Discussion

EV Charging Event Data Aggregation project, working session

Matus Banyay

Karsten Kroebel - Ford

Henkel Achim - Bosch

Unknown User (dirk.slama@bosch.com) -Bosch

12:00 - 13:30Lunch

13:30 - 14:00

FMS/VSS Discussion

EV Charging Event Data Aggregation project, working session

Matus Banyay

Karsten Kroebel - Ford

Henkel Achim - Bosch

(45 minute Panel) Title: Payments in Automotive - Looking Beyond IVP

  • Discover  
    • Julius Alexander
  • WEX
    • Speaker TBD
  • FIS
    • Speaker TBD
  • Sony
    • Speaker TBD 
  • JP Morgan/Chase
    • Speaker TBD 
  • Mercedes
    • Speakers TBD Mark Gerban

Note: this is a work-in-progress since John Moon is talking to all the listed parties to the left to confirm travel to Porto AMM.

Note: we need to have 45 minutes for this panel but did not want to try to adjust the time slot framework myself.    This should go from 13:30 to 14:15

14:00 - 14:30

VSS Working Session –

Erik Jaegervall 

Adnan Bekan 

White Label App Store Project

Title: Path to Implementing a Vehicle Wallet (Confirmed)

  • Mavi
    • Vamsi Putrevu
Note: In this session we will be talking about IVP Vehicle Wallet in more technical details as well as project proposal around Vehicle Wallet.  This could end up be a 40 minute presentation and talk combined.  This session should start at 14:15 and go to 15:00
14:30 - 15:00White Label App Store Project

Title: Payments Platform Development Considerations for OEM Adoption (Confirmed)

  • Starfish
    • Markus Kuhnt
Note: In this session we will be continuing to talk about IVP project proposal and considerations lead by Starfish who might also bring MBition into the discussions (Starfish) is doing the work here for Mercedes on their IVP platform.  This session should go from 15:00 to 15:40
15:00 - 16:00Data Expert Group Wrap Up

5:00 - 6:00Brews & Brainstorming

Data Security Sessions  (we moved security to the 1 hour block on Oct 18th made up of 2 panels.
EDT Time Zone

09:00 - 09:05

(15:00-15:05 CEST)

09:05 - 09:20

(15:05-15:20 CEST)

09:20 - 10:00

(15:20-16:00 CEST)

10:00 - 10:10  (16:00-16:10 CEST)Break

10:10 - 10:35

(16:10-16:35 CEST)

10:35 - 11:00

(16:35-17:00 CEST)

  • No labels