We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience. By using this site, you are giving your consent for us to set cookies.




This page intends to contain the agenda for next meeting and notes from previous meeting. 

General Agenda

  • Welcome and Compliance statement

Welcome to the COVESA Common Vehicle Interfaces Meeting!

Antitrust
Before we begin, we would like to make clear that COVESA is committed to compliance with the antitrust laws in all of its activities, and that it expects all participants to similarly comply with the antitrust laws.  We will not engage in--and members must refrain from--any discussion of, or understandings regarding competitively sensitive topics. If you have any doubts regarding whether a matter is appropriate for discussion, please consult with your antitrust counsel.

Open and Royalty-Free
Further, COVESA aspires to be an open and royalty-free organization. The discussions and contributions made during this session are governed by the COVESA Intellectual Property policy. If you are unfamiliar with that policy, please review it in detail prior to making any contribution that reads upon a patent.


Agenda discussion - anything that needs to be added?

  • Prioritized Topics:
    • Capabilities - create a list of common vehicle capabilities/function to be expose via api
    • IFEX (Interface Exchange) - a general interface description and transformation technology 
    • uServices - definition of common vehicle services usimg protobuf as the interface definition language
    • Vehicle Signal Specification over Data Distributiion Service 
    • Vehical Information Service Specification (VISS) -  a service for accessing vehicle information, signals from sensors on control units within a vehicle's network. It exposes this information using COVESA Vehicle Signal Specification (VSS).
    • Vehicle API - will expose vehicle data as defined and described by COVESA's Vehicle Signal Specification to a  variety of agreed upon touch-points in and out of the vehicle
    • Hierarchical Information Model (HIM)
    • Interface Blueprint

Agenda  2024-02-27

Agenda  2024-02-20

  • blueprint brainstorm
    • Paul to post a start
  • VISS to COVESA
    • Automotive WG closed
    • create repos in COVESA and move from w3c
    • Names spec (VISS) and implementation (VISS-)
    • use respec for spec
  • AMM
    • VISS presentations/sessions
    • VISS overview, status, announcement

Agenda  2024-02-13

  • Licensing meeting this week with AUTOSAR - Discussion
  • Blueprint brainstorm

Agenda  2024-02-06

  • Licensing meeting this week with AUTOSAR
  • VISS in progress of moving to COVESA
  • IFEX and uServices 
  • Blueprint Patterns
    • Discovery Patterns
    • Notification
    • Request Response
    • Configurability
    • Ease of Use
    • Level of API - 3rd party app, lower level SDV, or...
  • Next Week - Brainstorm Blueprints
    • Share Common Pain Points

Agenda  2024-01-30

  • Licensing meeting this week with AUTOSAR
  • VISS in progress of moving to COVESA
  • IFEX and uServices 

Agenda  2024-01-23

  • IFEX and uServices - synch status
    • Protobuf "option" meaning discussed - it is used for configuration parameters that modify the behavior of the interface.  Need to determine how this will manifest in IFEX.
  • VISSv2
    • Paul Boyes to setup meeting regarding mechanical transfer to COVESA
  • ARXML License Discussion

Agenda  2024-01-16

  • Digital key - Ted
  • IFEX and uservices - synch meeting - 
  • Ted Guild Start topic of identity in  CVI - Ted Guild Erik Jaegervall Halim Ragab  to bring initial use cases forward Gunnar Andersson happy to support if needed in IFEX
  • Halim Ragab IFEX to/from uservices and IFEX to/from someip
  • Adnan Bekan Android and Apple APIs - extract all functions an list for discussion
  • Paul Boyes to arrange for moving VISS to COVESA
    • @remotive labs working on feeder opportunity for work
    • identify shared work in VISS
  • Playground forming container with VISS
    • Mongo adding Realm
    • BMW working on knowledge layer
  • Scoping catalog work
  • blueprints look at existing initiatives
  • Identity - 

Agenda  2023-11-28

Prioritized Topics:

  • Capability Lists Review
  • IFEX and uservices
  • ACTION ITEM: Adnan Bekan   Look at Android 14 - Vehicle Attributes and APIs for capabilities (Seats, Steering Wheel....) Link
  • ACTION ITEM:  Melissa Morris Melissa to do the exact same thing for Seats as HVAC - Week of Dec 5
  • ACTION ITEM:  @everyone VSS and IFEX discussion read doc
  • ACTION ITEM:  @everyone Review capabilities outlined in uservices
  • Goal:  Gunnar Andersson , Paul Boyes , @everyoneAgreed common/computable representation/description of common capabilities at a logical level
    • Is IFEX mature enough to define common capabilities
    • Attempt to define HVAC interfaces in IFEX 
  • Domain Priority
    • HVAC
    • Seats
  • Playground: @everyone - Provide examples of what is needed input in Playground.  What examples would be useful?  What is the goal of that example?
    • Try it out and get involved.
  • What representation? Why? Show a reference implementation on Playground

Agenda  2023-11-21

Prioritized Topics:

  • Capability Lists Review
  • IFEX and uservices
  • ACTION ITEM:  Melissa to do the exact same thing for Seats as HVAC - Week of Dec 5
  • ACTION ITEM:  VSS and IFEX discussion read doc
  • ACTION ITEM:  Review capabilities outlined in uservices

Agenda  2023-11-14

Prioritized Topics:

  • Capability Lists Review

Meeting notes  2023-11-7


Meeting notes  2023-10-24

  • Prioritized Topics:
    • Gunnar looking at converting uServices
    • Blueprints
      • Looked at https://apiblueprint.org/
      • uServices - look to extract patterns, look at options when Halim back
        • business logic separated from deployment
        • Number of rows... Number of seat rows?  Constant or set at design 
    • Ford - Meet Shareef/Ford at Nov 7 during regularly scheduled meeting

Meeting notes  2023-10-24

  • Prioritized Topics:
    • Blueprint
    • Ford - Meet with on Nov 2
      • Blueprint
      • Catalog/Capabilities
      • Meet Nov 2 from 9-10am ET
    • BMW to provide feedback on IFEX
    • Apple
      • Can we get API documentation from Apple?
      • AI:  Halim and Adnan to work internally
    • Google
      • Followed up 
      • We need to get back to them when we have something
    • Automotive API (formerly Vehicle API)


Meeting notes  2023-10-17

  • Prioritized Topics:
    • AMM Review


  • Agenda discussion - anything that needs to be added?
  • AMM review
    • Define scope of each project,
    • project interconnectivity/interplay
    • Participants
    • Action:  Paul to start the above
    • Action:  Ford to find rep
    • Action:  Reach out to Honda
    • Action:  Reach out to Hyundai
    • Proposed:  once a month Asia friendly model.  Do more discussions in writng.  Slack, GitHub, Wiki...
    • Direct contribution needed
    • IFEX looking at translation to uServices and vice versa
    • Action:  GM to meet with Mbitiion re IFEX
    • Catalog → OpenAPI and/or uServices and/or IFEX or HIM
      • Simple easy to follow.  Guidance to follow.  How to document?
    • Blueprint for how API's should be described
      • How granular?
      • Governance
      • Action:  Get Google documentation
      • Coherency, safety security, performance, access control
      • Action:  Start outline 


  • Prioritized Topics:
    • Capabilities
    • IFEX
    • uServices
    • DDS
    • VISS
    • HIM
    • Vehicle API 
  • Prioritized topics for next meeting

Meeting notes  2023-09-05

  • Prioritized Topics:
    • Discussed How to handle this Common Vehicle Interfaces meeting.  Agreed to start listing service capabilities.
    • Action Item: Halim Ragab to start a Capabilities page and Usecases page
    •  AMM:
      • Block out time for discussions
      • Discuss Use cases, why common vehicle interfaces matter?
        • Integrating with the vehicle 
        • Mapping to VHAL
      • Capabilities
      • Meet with Google to discuss integration via common interfaces/services
        • Create good example and present prior to AMM


  • No labels